By this I mean a strategy where you dont focus on optimizing your game, but just go for it and ask her out straight away.

I'm asking because in most cold approach situations I get nervous and sometimes it's so bad there's no hope of any improvisation or overconfidence or "game" (I usually just say fuck it and ignore these women and focus on the ones where I feel confident). In those situations at best I can do a simple "I like that shirt" and some lame conversation and a "can I get your number" in the end. Did this a few times with varying success (most had a boyfriend (confirmed by 3rd party) but still seemed flattered).

Is that a viable tactic? Should I do this more? Or am I just stroking their egos and not actually giving them any tingles. Talking to them that way kinda felt more like being their gay best friend than a romantic interest lol (I'm exaggerating but it def didnt feel very flirty, just very very friendly).

I make a good first impression on women though and theres a bunch at the gym, at work, uni etc. who are eyeing me. Feels like a ton of wasted opportunity.